Sunday 6 November 2011

Previous Students Work

To be able to understand the different level in which our title sequence could be given we watched six title sequences. These titles sequences were previous work that past student had created for their coursework. By watching these it allowed me to look at the mark scheme and see what marks I would award it with and compare this with the actual mark that was given. I was then able to review the mark scheme to see why a certain level was given and why I didn't think it was in this level.

Final Fate
After watching this clip for the first time I gave it a level 3 with 36 marks. This title sequence only just got into level three. One reason why I gave it a level 3 was because there were a variety of camera angles used. Another reason why was because the music fitted in well with the title sequence.
However the actual level that was given to this title sequence was Level 2 with 24 marks showing that it only just made it into the level two boundary.
When we watched the sequence again, I realised why it was only awarded a low level 2. The first thing I realised was that the camera wasn't still and was shaking. This wasn't effective as the camera should be still all throughout the title sequence. This is one aspect that I need to make sure is accurate when making my title sequence with my group. Without the camera being still we will not be able to achieve a good grade. Furthermore we also see that the only type of transition made was through the use of cuts. This isn't effective as to be able to achieve a good grade we need to show a good variety of transitions.
Lastly we see that at the time of 1 minute 16 seconds the main character takes a mans guitar who is sitting playing it on the side of the street and smashes it against the wall. This has nothing to do with the title sequence from what we saw at the beginning. This doesn't make it seem like a title sequence at all. It makes it seem more like the middle of a film. When making the title sequence, myself and my group are going to have to make sure that we keep to the focus of the title sequence and don' have random bits of footage put together.
From watching this title sequence, I am now aware of how easy it is it spilt out of a grade boundary/ level. When making the title sequence myself and my group are going to take into account all of the above.




Root Cause
 The level in which I gave this title sequence was Level 3 with 38 marks. One reason why I gave this title sequence a level 3 was because the camera was still all throughout. Another reason why I gave it a level 3 was because the mise-en scene was continuous all throughout the sequence. This was effective as you could clearly tell they had taken this into consideration. When I am making my title sequence I need to make sure that I take these aspects into account. Without having a steady camera, and following the plot throughout we will now be able to achieve an effective and good title sequence. Although the actual level that it was given was a Level 4 with 54 marks showing that it was firmly in level 4.
Once we found out the actual level it was rewarded, we watched the title sequence again. When watching the sequence again, I understood why it was given a level 4.  The first reason why I realised it was given this level for was because the transitions were accurate. By the transitions being accurate it means that the title sequence follows better. Secondly, the camera was held steady at all time. This is important that this is done, as otherwise it is hard to see the shot taking place.
From watching this title sequence again, I am now aware of the detail that needs to go into making a title sequence effective. When my group are making our title sequence we will be able to refer back to this and the mark scheme to see how we can achieve the best mark possible.

Revelation
I gave this title sequence Level 3 with 46 marks. I gave it a high level 3 because of the use of various shot lengths. Another reason why I gave it a level 3 was because it had used a variety of transitions. By using a variety of transitions it makes the sequence more effective. Furthermore the mise-en-scene was appropriate for their title. By the mise-en-scene following the plot it allows for the audience to understand what is going on better. It also makes it much more effective. At the beginning of the sequence the titles were used effectively. However as the background was black the titles were not clear. The titles were in the colour of red. I have learnt from watching this title sequence that we need to select the colours used carefully as these two colours blended in with each other. As these titles could not be seen we did not know  what they said. Furthermore I have also learnt that we need to make sure that the mise-en-scene all fits together appropriately.
The level this was actually given was level 4 with 48 marks. This title sequence only just got into level 4 by one mark. From re watching this I can now see why it was awarded a level 4. The first reason why it was awarded a level 4 was because of the various shot lengths are were used. Secondly, the use of music builds up the tension and fits in with the atmosphere which is being created. The sequence itself is all in monochrome. This was effective and hadn't been used before in the previous sequences which we watched. By this sequence being in monochrome it creates a clear yet dark and grey atmosphere.
This title sequence has portrayed to me how we need to make our title sequence unique. It has also portrayed to me how the use of numerous amounts of transitions are effective.




Domino Effect

After watching this title sequence for the first time, I awarded it with a level 3 with 47 marks. One of the reasons why I awarded it with this level and mark was because of the good use of the camera. Another reason why I rewarded it with this mark is because of the amount of transitions used. When watching the sequence I noticed that there was also a variety of shot distance used. This was effective as we could see close-ups, mid shots, long shots and a few more.
However the actual level it was given was level 3 but with 40 marks. When we watched the sequence again I noticed a few reasons why it was only given 40 marks. The first reason was because the titles at the end were too small. By the titles being too small, it isn't allowing for them to be seen from a far distance away. Furthermore we also see that the background noises couldn't be heard. Even though the music is turned down when these happened, it was still very hard for these to be heard.
When making my title sequence, myself  and my group need to make sure that any background noises can be heard and that the music is as high when these are being played so that they can be heard clearly.







Room to Breathe
I gave this title sequence Level 2 with 34 marks which is a high level 2. One reason why I gave it a high level 2 was because the camera was not still throughout. We see that the camera shakes a few times. This meant that I could not award it with a higher mark. Additionally it did include many different shot levels and angles. This is one reason why it was given a high level 2.
The mark it was actually given was level 2 with 35 marks. Here I can see that I was able to use the mark scheme to point out why it was only given a certain amount of marks.
After watching the title sequence again, I realised another reason why this title sequence could not be awarded a level 3. We see that at the time of 1 minute the music stops playing. This isn't effective as the music should be playing throughout.  Furthermore we also see that the titles of did not fit in with the rest of the sequence and are also hard to read. One reason wh the titles are hard to read is because they aren't bold enough to stand out. I also believe it is due the to type of font used and the typeface. The typeface which has been used is called Serif. The font that is used also adds effect. However as this cannot be seen clearly it is hard for us to tell what the titles are saying.
From this title sequence I have learnt that what I thought was a good title sequence actually didn't score very well in terms of the mark scheme. I now know that I need to make sure that I follow the mark scheme and included everything that I can to the best of my ability.





Unrequired Love
As we watched this title sequence I noticed many aspects of the sequence that needed to be improved the be able to give it a higher level. The level in which I gave it was a level 2 with 33 marks. One reason for this is because the titles again were not on the screen for long enough and also we not completely clear to read. Furthermore when watching the sequence we also saw that there wasn't a varied amount of shot transitions used. However when watching the sequence I did get the purpose of it until the end. This was because all we saw through was the different stages of the cutting of the paper and then making it into a word. When I re watched this it became clearer to me. Although I do feel that the plot could have been made clearer.
The mark this title sequence was given was Level 2 with 30 marks. When we re-watched it is become much clearer to me why it received this level. One reason why it recieved this level was because there wasn't a varied amount of shots transitions for shot lengths. Another reason is that the plot of this title sequence wasn't very imaginative or effective.  Lastly, I believe that there needed to different shot distances.





Overall I believe that this task has helped me to understand what is needed to make a good opening title sequence. From what I have learnt I am going to take this information and use it when making my title sequence. From this task I have realised where I went wrong when originally giving the sequences a level and mark. I have also realised that throughout making our title sequence we as a group need to keep on referring back to the mark scheme to make sure that we are completing each point to the best of our ability. In addition to the above, these ideas have helped me in thinking about plots and how we can make ours effective. Furthermore I have also learnt what we should not include and what we should include. For example we need to include a various amount of shot distances and shot transitions. We should not have a shaky camera, it should be steady all of the time and we should have a clear title sequence where the titles can be read easily.

1 comment:

  1. A very very good blog entry Alice! Detailed and so relevant in how this session can help you. I want you to be more technical in your comments-just like you are studying with Mr M! Look to add comments on editing ( speed and style) and what was a big NO NEVER DO THIS and what you SHOULD BE DOING!

    Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete